Application for the course Music Theatre / Opera Performance
Trailer: Music Theatre / Opera Performance
Admission to the audition and the study programme is only possible for applicants with a Bachelor of Music (Voice / Classical Singing). Applicants, who completed a Master of Music in Opera Performance or Music Theatre, cannot be accepted.
Master of Music
1. Six operatic arias, sung in at least three languages from at least three musical periods, including:
- at least one aria by W.A. Mozart
- at least one aria in German (Mezzi / Altos: for suggestions please contact the department).
- at least one aria from an Operetta, Musical, Zarzuela or a Chanson
2. A substantial German poem with at least four verses/ stanzas or a soliloquy / drama monologue.
The arias do not have to be performed, but have to convey to the jury that the singer is familiar with role, character and context. The list of arias as well as title and author of the poem should be enclosed with the confirmation of the audition date. On the day of the exam the aria list should be presented to the jury in ten copies provided by the candidate. The candidate must also bring in an extra copy of his/her music for the pianist. Pianists are provided by the Theaterakademie August Everding. Private pianists are not accepted.
The exam is held in two stages. Applicants who are successful in stage 1 are admitted to stage 2. The final decision will be made after round 2, and the candidates will be notified by post. The exam may be repeated once.
Stage 1 (5-15 minutes):
1. Vocal presentation of opera arias with the first aria being of your own choice.
2. Further arias / extracts / poem recitation are announced by the jury. The jury may choose to listen to sections of arias only.
Stage 2 (Workshop and Call-back):
1. Workshop (entire day) with classes in movement, performance, dialogue and music coaching working alone or in a group. The repertoire will be based upon the programme of the candidate. For the workshop the candidate should bring suitable clothes for movement.
2. Vocal presentation following the workshops. The repertoire will be chosen by the jury.
List of Documents to be submitted
- Application form
- Curriculum vitae
- (Uncertified) Copy of your birth certificate, identification card, passport or residence permit.
- Copy of your Bachelor’s degree certificate with singing as major subject. If the university entrance qualification is not yet completely fulfilled at the time of application, you may apply with preliminary transcripts certified by your university / higher education institution. Please ask your university / higher education institution to include the expected date of your graduation.
- The Bachelor’s degree certificate must be submitted no later than the enrolment at the beginning of the winter semester.
- Copy of your certificate indicating previous study- and exam achievements.
- Repertoire list of all perviously performed and completely rehearsed arias.
- Current phoniatric examination or detailed medical report by a ear, nose and throat specialist (not older than six months).
- For applicants who are not native speakers of German: language certificate with level B2 (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages), level TDN3 (Test-DaF examination) or Abitur from a German school abroad. The certificate has to be submitted no later than the enrolment at the beginning of the winter semester.
- Evidence of payment of the registration fee of € 30,00 (copy of statement of account or cash payment receipt) Application fee
These documents should be sent in the form of photocopies; no documents will be returned to candidates.
Incomplete applications and applications that are sent in too late can not be considered.
Applications sent in by e-mail will not be considered.
Start of next program: October 2020
Application deadline: March 31, 2020
Due to possible bureaucratic difficulties such as entry permits or visa we encourage applicants and in particular those from abroad to submit their application timely before the application deadline.
Qualifying Examination: May 11-15, 2020
Study period: 2 years / 4 semesters
Application fee: € 30,00
Beneficiary: Theaterakademie August Everding
IBAN: DE75 700500000001190315
Reason for transfer: 7032 011 07-6 156501-9
No tuition fees have been charged since the winter semester of 2013/2014.
However, a basic fee of €128.50 is charged each semester. This amount comprises the student union contribution (€62) and the solidarity contribution for the public transport semester ticket (€66.50).
Further information on the Munich public transport semester ticket is available here.