The requirements for the study program are a Bachelor of Music (B. Mus.) or a diploma with a major focus on singing; additionally the audition process has to be passed successfully.
Admission is not possible for those who have completed a Master’s degree in opera singing (M. Mus.).
The examination procedure consists of the video pre-selection and the live audition process.
As part of your application documents, you must include/upload a video via the online application portal in accordance with requirements/duration applicable to the live audition.
Please upload two unedited sound and image recordings (videos) with opera arias.
If possible, these two arias should be in different languages and be of contrasting characters.
You are free to decide which works or excerpts from your repertoire will be presented on video.
The recorded material does not have to be the same program that you would like to present in the live audition process..
Important: Technical processing or editing of videos of any kind is not permitted within a performed piece!
If the video preselection is passed, you will be invited to the live auditions.
Due to the sometimes longer travel preparation (visa and entry requirements), we offer an earlier deadline for the video pre-selection.
Applicants from these countries are asked to submit their documents if possible until 25th March 2022.
The following must be prepared by heart for the live audition process:
1. Six opera arias in at least three languages and from at least three stylistic periods:
- including at least one aria from an opera by W.A. Mozart
- including at least one aria from an operetta / zarzuela / musical or a chanson
- including at least one aria in German
2. Poem or monologue in German:
A poem of at least four stanzas or a monologue from a play.
The presentation should show a scenic understanding of the respective role / aria.
The prepared program must be attached to the confirmation of the invitation to the live audition process. (Your answer to the invitation to the audition process)
15 copies of the written program must be brought to the examination date.
The theater academy will provide the piano accompaniment. Canditates may not bring their own accompanists. Please bring clearly legible and taped sheet music for the piano accompaniment.
The audition process consists of two stages. Applicants who have passed the first round will be admitted to the second round.
1st round (Monday or Tuesday): Duration approx. 5 - 15 minutes
One aria is to be selected by the applicant, possible further arias / poem / excerpts will be selected by the examination board.
After the first round, the examination committee decides which applicants will be admitted to the second round.
2nd round: workshop (Wednesday-Thursday) all day and presentation (Friday)
We will work both musically and scenically (acting, movement, speaking) in the group as well as individually. The content of the work is based on the program of the applicant.
Don’t forget to bring suitable clothing and footwear for movement classes.
Final presentation: On the basis oft he material which was developed in the workshop as specified by the examination board. Duration approx. 5 - 30 minutes.
The decision regarding the admission to the course is made by the examination board based on the performance level achieved in the audition process. The decision will be communicated to the applicant by post and per email.
If you do not pass the audition process, you may repeat it only once, the earliest in the following year.
All application documents are submitted online via the portal.
All documents/information will be requested or uploaded in the applicant portal.
- Tabular CV
- Copy of birth certificate and ID card/ passport or residence permit.
- Proof of a Bachelor of Music degree / diploma with a major in singing. If no certificate is available at the time of application, the last interim certificate will be submitted with a confirmation from the respective university / institute with information on when the degree is expected to be completed. The certificate must be submitted at the latest when you enroll at the beginning of the winter semester.
- Proof records of previous periods of study and examinations.
- Repertoire list of previously sung and performed / fully studied roles.
- Current phoniatric report or detailed certificate from an ear, nose and throat doctor (not older than 6 months).
- For foreign applicants from non-German speaking countries: Language certificate with at least level B2 of the GER (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages), level TDN3 of the Test DaF or Abitur at a German school abroad.
- Proof must be submitted at the latest when you enroll at the beginning of the winter semester.
- Proof of paid registration fees of € 30.00 (copy of bank statement or cash payment receipt).
- For applicants from the People's Republic of China only:
- Certificate from the Academic Evaluation Center at the German Embassy in Beijing.
- Foreign certificates / certificates of grades will only be accepted in the form of officially certified translations.
- Confirmation from the university about the expected degree must already be enclosed with the application, the degree certificate should then be presented on the day of enrollment will.
After the invitation to the audition process, applicants confirm their participation by email.
In particular, we ask interested students from abroad to submit their application in good time according to the application deadline, taking in consideration possible bureaucratic delays such as entry permits or visas!
The master program begins in the winter semester
Upcoming beginning: October 2022
The application-deadline for the master music theater/opera performance has been prolonged.
Applications are accepted until April 15th 2022.
Audition process: 16.-20. May 2022
Duration of study: 2 years/4 semesters (fulltime)
The first two semesters are a probationary period in accordance with the statutes on the probationary period of the Munich University of Music and Performing Arts.
Registration fee: € 30,00
Beneficiary: Theaterakademie August Everding
IBAN: DE75 700500000001190315
Reason for transfer: 7032 011 07-6 156501-9
There are no tuition fees fort he master programme since 2013/2014 winter semester, however, a basic fee of €147.00 per semester is charged. This amount consists of the student union fee (€ 75) and the cost of the subsidised semester ticket for local public transport (€ 72.00).
More information about the Munich semester ticket can be found here.